$2 Million Bond: 27-Year-Old Off-Duty Chicago Police Officer Shoots 3 People After Losing Fight at Bowling Alley; Charged

$2 Million Bond: 27-Year-Old Off-Duty Chicago Police Officer Shoots 3 People After Losing Fight at Bowling Alley; Charged
$2 Million Bond: 27-Year-Old Off-Duty Chicago Police Officer Shoots 3 People After Losing Fight at Bowling Alley; Charged (Images: Screenshot/YouTube/CBS2/Cook County Sheriff)

An off-duty Chicago Police officer has been ordered held on $2 million bail after allegedly shooting three people during a fight earlier this week at a bowling alley in south suburban Blue Island, according to CBS2.

Prosecutors said Kyjuan Tate, 27, opened fire inside Burr Oak Bowl shortly before midnight Tuesday after getting into a fistfight with another man who was attempting to use the men’s restroom while Tate’s sister was in there. Tate faces two counts of aggravated battery and one count of attempted murder.

Cook County prosecutors testified at Tate’s bond hearing on Friday that a 42-year-old man was attending his fiancée’s birthday party at Burr Oak Bowl on Tuesday night when he attempted to use the men’s restroom around 11:45 p.m. but was denied entry by Tate because Tate’s sister was inside.

While Tate was visibly sh*tfaced, prosecutors asserted that the other man had consumed no alcohol that night.

After Tate prevented the man from entering the restroom, he went out to the parking lot to heat up up his vehicle before leaving, and then returned to the men’s restroom a few moments later, where Tate challenged him again, sparking a tussle as Tate lifted his sweatshirt to reveal a Glock pistol concealed in the waistband of his sweatpants.

According to prosecutors, during a verbal altercation between Tate and the man, the man’s 52-year-old cousin attempted to intervene, and Tate swung around the older gentleman, attempting to strike the younger man in the face. Tate and the younger person then started pushing and shoving one another, and Tate had given his gun to his sister, who had exited the restroom at that point.

At that point, the 42-year-old man gave Tate four or five of “them thangs” in the face, slouching him to the ground. The man then began walking away, and Tate stood up and collected his gun from his sister, according to prosecutors. He then responded by pointing it at the man’s head behind his right ear.

Tate pulled the trigger, and a bullet grazed the 42-year-old man’s ear before hitting his cousin in the chest, exiting through his back, and striking the bowling alley manager’s hand somewhere above the wrist.

The 42-year-old man grabbed Tate’s arm after he was shot, and they started to struggle over the gun, which fell to the floor as countless people tried to flee the lounge, prosecutors said. Tate was able to recover his gun and exit the bowling alley after the manager called 911.

According to prosecutors, surveillance footage shows Tate exiting the bowling alley with the gun still in his hand. As Blue Island police arrived on the scene, Tate was travelling to his car and opening the passenger side door when eyewitness pointed him out to police. He was arrested immediately and his weapon was retrieved from his vehicle.

The 52-year-old man who was shot in the chest was rushed to Advocate Christ Medical Center in critical condition, but his condition has since stabilized, according to prosecutors.

The 42-year-old man grazed by the gunshot was treated at a nearby urgent care clinic and continues to experience hearing problems in his left ear. The bowling alley manager, 33, was transported to Christ Medical Center for treatment of a bullet wound to his wrist.