A suspect has been arrested in connection with a fatal mass shooting that occurred early Sunday in Sacramento, California. The shooting, the deadliest in the city’s history, gunned down people and injured at least 12 others.
Following an overnight investigation, the Sacramento Police Department said it apprehended Dandrae Martin, 26, and charged him with assault and illegal firearm possession.
Police identified him as a “related suspect,” but provided no further information about his alleged role.
According to police, at least two people started shooting in the downtown district as people rushed out of closing nightclubs. People on the scene were seen speeding away from the gunshots on video.
According to preliminary investigation, at least 3 buildings and 3 vehicles were hit by gunfire, and more than 100 shell casings were retrieved from the scene.
Authorities did not include details on the search for other perpetrators when they announced Martin’s arrest, though they did say search warrants had been served at 3 residences and “at least” one pistol had been recovered.
The twelve people who were injured in the shooting are still in the hospital. According to police, their situations range from minor to critical but are stable.
Lawmakers from all over the country, including President Joe Biden, have used the attack to advocate for gun control and reform.
“We know these lives were not the only lives impacted by gun violence last night. And we equally mourn for those victims and families who do not make national headlines,” Biden said in statement Monday. “But we must do more than mourn; we must act.”
Investigators previously stated that they were reviewing social networking sites video of a massive brawl that erupted just before the shooting, but it’s unclear if it was connected to the shooting.